Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
06 Mar 2003
PREGNANT BUT IN NEED OF MEDICATION FOR DEPRESSION
My partner left the day after we found out we were pregnant. I refused his offer to pay for an abortion and wish to have my child. However, I'm having severe difficulty coping with the loss of my partner. I'm 8,5 weeks pregnant and doubt there's any safe medication for deep depression. I've become irrational and agressive (hormones don't help!) - so much so that I threw a chair at him yesterday and rammed my car into his car - on purpose. I'm not inherently agressive and we never used to scream and curse at each other. I need to get a grip before I get into more trouble or worse, lose my baby. Please can you advise if there's any medication safe enough to take during the early stages of pregnancy? I'm tense, tired, tearful, and well ... just starting to lose it!
If you feel depressed, rather than moody, consulting a psychotherapist may help. Amitriptiline and Prozac are both safe in pregnancy.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Struggling to convince someone who's vaccine-hesitant to get Covid-19 jab? Try this approach
- Type 2 diabetes: Sitting can cause problems with blood sugar levels, so get up and move
- PODCAST | HIV unmuted: Aids and the elusive vaccine
- Finding an HIV vaccine: Five lessons from the search for a Covid-19 jab
- How quickly do we become unfit?
- Phase 2 of SA's ambitious Covid-19 vaccination drive gets under way countrywide
- If Zuma is ready to go on trial, why is he bringing another doomed case against the NPA?
- State capture: Geoff Makhubo denies his influence was bought
- OPINION | Berry lekker: How urban foraging is one way to help feed SA's hungry
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule ties ANC's hands
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20349 votes