Ask an expert

06 Apr 2003

urinary tract infection
Hi Dr. I'm 21 years of age and I suffer from a urinary tract infection. I've been to a clinic three times, visited a general practitioner 2 times and have been to a gynae once. I've had this since 2nd of February. Problem is no one seems to be able to cure this infection. I've had blood and urine tests done and now I'm afraid my kidneys are getting infected. I have this unbearable pain on both my abdominal sides and also on my abdomen. This is draining all my energy and the only thing I seem to do is take more pain tablets sometimes even more than 8 a day and just sleep. Please help me.
Answer 260 views

01 Jan 0001

The first thing would be to be sure that your pain is due to a urinary tract infection. I don't know whether you have had a urine sample sent to the laboratory. This is the only way to make a specific diagnosis. It would also be able to determine which organism is causing the infection so that you can have the correct antibiotics. If this is negative, you may have to look for other causes for your pain. These would include genital tract infections, endometriosis or bowel problems.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.