Ask an expert

27 Oct 2008

11 year old son
Hi doc, my 11 yr old son has damaged his spinal chord an a car accident. As a result he has no feeling and cannot control his bowel movements. He can walk - not very far and fast. Is there anything that they have to control the sphincter on his bowels or a replacement
Answer 372 views
Handicap Expert
Handicap Expert

01 Jan 0001

Thank you for visiting

Unfortunately, the only alternative is a colostomy. There is no way to control the sphincter with medication. Please refer to the following link regarding a colostomy:

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20005 votes