Ask an expert

10 Sep 2007

Is there a solution to this?
Dear Doc.

I have cp since birth. Recently I was diognosed with GAD. I have been to 4 therapy sessions. I cannot go for more right now as my medical aid is used up. It has become clear that I have had GAD since childhood, probably brought on by cp. My problem is that I am not able to take antidepressants as this medication causes me to have even more spasm in my muscles. This causes walking difficulties which in turn causes more anxiety. I have been on Lilly Flouroxitine and Cipralex. What can I do now? I really don't have the money available to go from one doctor to the next...... But living with cp and GAD is very difficult. I am doing my best to cope without meds and therapy, but at this stage I am just a "bundle of nerves" and I would just like to stay at home all of the time.

Thank you for your time.
Answer 392 views
Handicap Expert
Handicap Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Emma<br><br>Thank you for visiting<br><br>Trying to cope with these disabilities is a total nightmare but unfortunately, I would suggest that you continue with the Cipralex orally and use Ativan SL 1mg to 2mg, three times a day, as necessary (these will help to eleviate the muscle spasm, as well as anxiety).<br><br>Please let me know how this works, so that we can explore other options.<br><br>Kind regards<br><br><br><br>Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.