Ask an expert

03 Aug 2007

paraplegic brother depressed
recently my 21 year old brother became a paraplegic. It has taken a huge toll on our family and he is taken it badly. How do I help him? What can I do to motivate him and give him hope?

My relationship with my partner is also rocky and I just feel like I can't cope with it all. Should I ask my Doc to prescribe something to help me cope?
Answer 341 views
Handicap Expert
Handicap Expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear LJV

Thank you for visiting

I am sorry to learn about the tragedy that struck your family. To motivate your brother will be a difficult task, as this condition is devastating to everyone of us in his position. The best will be to give him as much support, physically and mentally. It will also help if he can find something to keep himself busy with and to interact with other people as much as possible. Some people with paraplegia still lives a fullfilling life.

It is not a bad idea if you take medication, i.e. a good anti-depressant for a couple of months, to help you cope. Your GP will be able to prescribe a suitable product.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19293 votes