Ask an expert

10 Jan 2006

Extreme pain above left eye
This occasionaly occurs when I'm stressed but mostly during intercourse when I'm having trouble ejaculating. I become extremely tense when reaching my orgasm but I am not able to ejaculate. The tension seems to be the cause of the pain above my eye. I am able to ejaculate if I then calm down and then masturbate. My girlfriend thinks the problem lies with her, that she is not capable of getting me to that point.
Do I need to see a urologist or should I just learn to calm down and enjoy the experience?
Answer 1,487 views
Headache expert
Headache expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Stressed,

Firstly, please reassure your girl friend that the problem is not with her.

Headaches can be associated with sexual activity, especially with orgasm. There are two types of these headaches. In the first type, the excitement accompanying intercourse causes muscle contraction in the head and neck, thus leading to head pain. From what you describe, this may well be what you have.

The second type is a vascular headache. It is a very intense, severe headache usually occurring just before orgasm. It has been called an "orgasmic headache" or "orgasmic cephalalgia." In some instances, the headache is a response to an increase in blood pressure, causing the blood vessels to dilate. This headache is not usually related to the amount of physical exertion involved in intercourse. The pain may be located around or behind the eyes. It usually lasts a few minutes, but can last for hours. The headache is usually made worse by movement. The headache most often is a "benign" (not dangerous) orgasmic headache; however, the possibility of some other underlying problem disease should be thoroughly investigated. The benign orgasmic headache occurs more frequently in men than women and usually, but not exclusively, strikes migraine sufferers.

It is important to have a thorough medical check-up, including a neurological investigation to exclude the possibility of brain pathology. Fortunately this is not common, but it must be ruled out before any other treatment is instituted. Once this has been done, to get to the root of the problem you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” approach. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist has all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, is co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19306 votes