Ask an expert

17 Sep 2007

Hip Bones
Dear Doctor,

I'm 38 and have a rather sharp pain in my left hip. At first it was a vague pain and only stir up once I done gym now it's a constant pain. I'm always aware of it. I don't take any calcium supliments, if I start taking some now will the relief the pain and eventually take it away or should I see a specialist?

Please advise.

Answer 349 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Theresa
Calcium supplements will not relieve any pain- it is taken to ensure that your calcim intake( which should be a 1000mg per day) is sufficient to prevent osteoporosis (porous bones) and subsequent fractures.
I suggest you consult your doctor for a physical examination and possible x-rays of the hip to see what is going on.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.