Ask an expert

16 Jan 2006

I am 51 years old and suffer from scholiosis. I have had the condition for as long as I can remember but it was never a problem as I partisipated in very regular excersize which I dont any more due to various problems. Where can I find out more about this condition as I suffer from lower back pain when sleeping and can only sleep on my one side.
Answer 471 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Tish
Treatment for adults with scoliosis is usually conservative as the pain that you experience now is probably due to degenerative (wear and tear) changes due to the mis-allignment of your spine. If you experience any numbness or weakness in the legs, the best person to see is a neuro surgeon. If not, the best is still to do back strengthening exercises regularly- a physiotherapist will be able to help you with these. Surgery is considered an absolute last resort and will only be done if there is nerve involvement and if exercise does not help. Please try this avenue first. These exercises can be done at home and is usually very low-impact and more stretching. Pilates exercises will also be good.
If you want to see a doctor about this, make an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in back surgery. Braces also occasionally help.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19292 votes