Ask an expert

16 Sep 2008

burst ear drum
My husband burst his eardrum when he went diving a few years back. he had a sinus operation and through this they discovered that he is going deaf in the ear. now he needs a hearing aid. does anyone know of hearing aids that arn' t visible   since he is very self concious. then will he be able to swim with the hearing loss that is acuring?
Answer 399 views
Hearing management
Hearing care

01 Jan 0001

Dear V

Your husband needs to see an Audiologist for a full hearing and middle ear evaluation. If you don't know of someone in your area, please let me know and i will gladly refer you ( Hearing aids have advanced such a lot over the last few years and there are amazing options available that are technologically advanced and very discreet. It can be truely life-changing for him.

The other question that you are asking about the swimming have two sides to it. Firstly one would have to know whether the perforation in his eardrum has healed - ask your ENT specialist if it is safe. The fact that he is losing hearing might not be related to the perforation and if this is the case, it is safe for him to swim. It might be advisable to use swimplugs in his ears though so that one doesn't cause unnecessary exposure. You can also discuss the options for swimplugs with your Audiologist.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

Kind regards
Izabelle Pieterse
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.