Ask an expert

30 Oct 2008

Deep water and sudden eareache

My 8 year old son tried reaching the bottom of a very deep pool. He shot up like a cork clutching his head and complained that his ear drum burst. It is now 3hrs later and he went to sleep after some Panado. What do we do? Dr? Or can we wait it out as the ENT here asks well over R600 a visit
Answer 415 views
Hearing management
hearing care

01 Jan 0001

Dear Boggelocks

It would be better to see an ENT just to make sure that all is in order - does he still have earache and was there any bleeding? You also need to make sure that there are no other problems - look out for any sudden changes, dizziness or changes in his hearing. I would strongly advise you to see a doctor and also after all is cleared up to see an Audiologist for full hearing and middle ear evaluation. I know it is expensive but especially with children; it is better not to take any chances.

Please let me know if you need any further information

Kind regards
Izabelle Pieterse
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.