Ask an expert

27 Jan 2006

My husband has been fitted with hearing aid and nou he can hear the passing of vehicles and the rustle of a newspaper - BUT - i as sure his speach is deteriorating - a restuarante and a waiter is a nightmare because i end up ordering and so forth - it would seem that he is slurring his words and i am not deaf but he is speaking softer and softer - even our staff is complaining - WHAT NOW
Answer 385 views
Hearing Loss
Hearing loss

01 Jan 0001

Dear Kate

Thank you for your question. I always have a deep sympathy for those that lose their hearing later in life, as it is harder for them to adjust to a hearing aid than those that was borne with a hearing loss.

There are a few options to what is next. First would be to go back to an audiologist that had given your husband the hearing aids in the first place. Hearing aids have a lot of settings that can be adjusted by an audiologist only. These settings can be fine tuned to better suit your husband.

For example, one can fine tune the high, medium and low frequencies. Cars and Newspapers are mostly low frequencies. Speech is medium frequencies. A Suggestion would be lower the volume of the high frequencies and increase the volume of the high frequencies, but an Audiologist would be in the best position to determine that.

While you are at the Audiologist, let them test the hearing in your husband other ear. It does not make sense that he is speaking softer if the one ear is still good.

Please realise that you will have to make some changes in your way of life. Try and avoid going to noisy restaurants. Find a quieter place. If you are invited by someone, take control of the situation by informing them that your husband is going to have a hard time at a noisy place. If people around him understand the limitations, they should be open to suggestions. (e.g. A quiet restaurant )

Good Luck !
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.