Ask an expert

18 Nov 2011

chronic pelvic pain

Need some advise on what my next step is. I went off triphasil the beginning of this year. Been on it 4 +- 7years. (My son 11 and dughter 7 now, both born by caesarian section, 1 of which was emergency)I have had endless problems from a avarian cyst which is now gone to chronic pelvic pain. My gynae couldnt find anything wrong with me after the cyst cleared up but still the pain persisted. A laparoscopy was performed and nothing was found. My gynae suggested that i fall pregnant to give my ovaries a break. I just cant bring myself to do that since nothing has been resolved and who can guarantee that i wont be sick whilst pregnant or worst. After the lap, i was sent to a Gastroenterologist who thought my problem where somehow hormonal and that doing a colonoscopy would be purely be for setting my mind at rest. He suggested i take Amitripilene in a lower dosage, as this is how chronic pain could be treated. It helped at first (dont know if it was psychological or what) then i stopped taking it as i started feeling really tired in the morning. I also went back onto bc and this helped for a while but the pain started coming back in stages, 1st lasting intermittently for 2 weeks then 3 week till now that it intermittely everday. The pain is a dull ache which extends to my thigh and my lower back feels rather still and saw at times.

I went to my GP last week for a sinus and bladder infection which he treated with antibiotics. The sinus cleared but the pelvic pain remained. He has now sent me for another abdo ultrasound but still nothing was found. What can be causing this nagging pain? It gets worst when i menstruate and i get a heavy feeling in both ovaries at this time and bowel movements become painful.

Where do i go now?
Answer 389 views
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum

01 Jan 0001

Dear Yasmin - you should direct your question to a gynaecologist - I am an orthopedic surgeon
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes