Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
12 Apr 2003
Firstly I want to apoligize if this is the wrong place to ask this... :o) I'm currently in my last year of school (I'm 18 and a female) and I'm planning on studying medicine (I've already sent in all my applications and I'm going to spent a day with a docter in my next holiday - so that I can get a better idea of what to expect.) I'm thinking about specializing in Paediatry after I get my degree and I want to ask if you can maybe give me any advice or information that can be useful or help me in my desicion? Thank you for your time, I appreciate any advice you can give.
I am glad to hear about your careeer plans. Do not concentrate on any subspeciality at present as the only way to make an informed decision is after proper exposure to all the different fields in medicine. You will get adequate exposure during your training years. The most important thing is to ensure that you know about all the pro's and cons of being a doctor. If you are certain, then first focus on your final exams and getting admitted to a medical school. The other things will fall in place along the way. Good luck!!
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- OPINION | Pilgrimage in a pandemic: Lessons from Mecca on containing Covid-19
- WHO to restart Covid trial to test if three existing drugs can save lives of hospitalised patients
- Magashule set to apologise, 'but with strings attached' - sources
- Mkhize's 3rd wave warning: 'He knows we will end up with trauma and suffering again'
- Steinhoff vows to 'vigorously defend' settlement proposal in wake of liquidation bid
- There is no basis 'to ask for a postponement of the elections' - IEC chair
- 20 years later: Pick n Pay’s failed retail pharmacy strategy
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20292 votes