Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
25 Jan 2006
Angry, negative child
My 4 year old son, has become increasingly difficult over the past year, continually having tantrums and shouting that he is "very very angry". (With us, his school and life in general). He does not listen to my husband or I and often appears to be in daydream . We have had his hearing tested and everything is fine. We have tried sending him to a different school this year, and he seems a bit happier, however he is not making any friends, and complains that he is too shy to say hello to anyone. He has reached a stage where he refuses to do swimming lessons or any other type of physical activity. When I ask him why he says that it makes his body tired. He has also become very negative regarding his abilities, often refusing to even try something, just saying that he can't do it. Do you think he may have low muscle tone, which is making him feel that he can't do anything? Or could this be a sign of ADHD ? I am desperate to get back my smiling , confident, happy little boy who had the world at his feet a year ago.
Something is really worrying this little fellow. Is he being bullied at school? I dont think he fits the pattern of ADHD. He seems to be unusually depressed for a child of his age. Please have him seen by your paediatrician to see that all is normal with him and then he may require referral to a child psychologist.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Five a day: Two fruits and three vegetables daily linked to greater life expectancy
- Another coronavirus variant detected in SA, but no reason to panic, says KRISP director
- Baby infected with coronavirus in the womb - new study
- Immune response in some Covid-19 patients different to those in other respiratory viruses - study
- Napping in the afternoon can improve memory and alertness – here’s why
- Electoral Bill seeks to protect voters' personal info 'from unreasonable disclosures'
- 'Mama, I'm going to play' - final words young boy spoke to his mom before drowning
- Move to Level 1 won't move the dial on growth outlook – economists
- Covid-19: Why Solidarity's vaccine procurement plan may not be feasible
- Brian Molefe adamant that Ramaphosa's 'influence' was used to seal dodgy coal deal
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9371 votes
67% - 19387 votes