Ask an expert

11 Jan 2010

Baby born premature due to work related stress
My wife works for a huge casino company. During may 2009 my wife found out that she was pregnant with our second child. During her pregnancy she had severe complications and her gynecologist wrote a letter to our HR manager to inform her about her situation. According to the letter she was suppose to be moved to a department where she had less strain or she had to be moved to day shifts only until the due date.
My wife works in the tables department and she has to stand for long hours. Sometimes it can be up to 12 hours a shift. Her manager told her that she can sit if she wanted to but there was still other shift managers that had a problem with it.
At one stage she was working for 17 days straight without any days off and it was night shift as well. Take into consideration that she works monday to sunday with days off in between. This was not the case. 17 days straight without any days off.
On the 11th of November 2009 she complained about severe pains in her stomach and she was bleeding as well. I took her to the doctor that morning and they booked her in for observation. According to the doctor it was early labour pains and they kept her in hospital to monitor her overnight. On the morning of the 12th of November 2009 the doctors decided to do a emergency operation because they were afraid of losing the baby. At 11:00 that morning my child was born at 31 weeks. The doctors said that the baby had blood in his throat and lots of fluid as well and if they had to wait longer the baby would have died. So far the baby is doing fine, but i need to know what her rights and can she make a case against the company for negligence.
Please help
Answer 189 views
childhood diseases

01 Jan 0001

Based on the information you have given here it does seem that your wife's company were very unsympathetic to her situation at the time. The best person to advise you further would be a labour lawyer.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.