Ask an expert

16 Jan 2010

Basic physical examination
Hello doctor

I teach at a school in a very rural area in the Limpopo Province. The school is poorly equipped with very little resources. The closest doctor and hospital to our school is about three hours'  drive away.

I would like to train so that I will be able to give each of our pupils'  a basic physical examination at least once per month. That way, if any of the pupils have serious problems, we will be able to arrange for them to go to a main city for more professional help. It woulkd be too expensive for us to send every single pupil to the main city, and their parents are too poor to afford it as well.

Could you please advise me what course I should do to train me to do a basic physical examination, so that I will be certified to do this? Could you also let me know what the costs are and where the course is held?

Thank you
Answer 423 views
childhood diseases

01 Jan 0001

This is such a good question and your heart is really in the right place. In order to examine children you need to be a nurse or doctor.Nurses can do a primary health care diploma which enables them to examine and treat patients up to a certain level.You could work hand in hand with your nearest health clinic.The children in your class could be weighed and measured regularly and their heights and weights charted on special growth charts and their general health could be monitored.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9475 votes
68% - 20309 votes