Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
29 Apr 2004
BOTLES vs CUP
I have a friend who is pregnant. She says she wants to breast feed her baby for at least 6 months before putting baby directly onto a cup - no bottles. She says for hygiene purposes. Could you indicate whether this is a good thing or not. I personally believe a baby should have the sucking in order to develop jaw and facial muscles. Are there any advantages / disadvantages to being put on a cup so early.
Cup feeding is nationally promoted due to its hygeinic advantages. The most important thing is to breast feed for at least the first six months (if at all possible) and cup feeding is a definite alternative to bottle feeding. I am not aware of any detrimental effects.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Obesity linked to increased in-hospital mortality in Covid-19 patients, especially men
- Anxiety around illness in childhood and adolescence can become chronic
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- Covid-19: Move to a stricter lockdown level, experts warn as third wave looms
- Witnesses out to get me, Lucky Montana tells Zondo about his properties
- Humble rooibos is now a superfood, and SA could be cashing in
- Who is Prince Misuzulu?
- Ralph Mathekga | Magashule suspension: Cue the battle of the ANC branches
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9470 votes
68% - 20259 votes