Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
16 Apr 2003
MY 19 MONTH OLD SON HAS BEEN HAVING THIS VERY CHESTY COUGH FOR THE PAST 5 DAYS. I HAVE TAKEN HIM TO THE DOCTOR ON THE THIRD DAY AND WAS TOLD HE HAS MILD BRONCHITIS AND WAS GIVEN AN ANTIBIOTIC. I WAS TOLD BY A COLLEAGUE THAT AFTER 2 DAYS OF ANTIOBIOTICS THE COUGH SHOULD CLEAR BUT IT STILL HASN'T, IS THIS TRUE AND HOW LONG SHOULD I GIVE IT.
Bronchitis is a viral infection that does not respond to antibiotics. We have seen a lot of these viral infections lately with the first sighns of winter approaching. There is no treatment that will improve the cough, because the damage to the airway lining has already been done and it needs time to heal. (7-14days) The only role for anti-biotics would be if there is a secondary bacterial infection as complication and in that respect your colleague is correct that with bacterial infections you ought to see some response within 2 days.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- State alleges Nafiz Modack manages criminal enterprise
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Bruce Cameron | What you need to know about disability assurance and mental health
- Unfriendly fire: Top cop Khehla Sitole, fired Crime Intelligence boss Peter Jacobs trade blame over Kinnear murder
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9474 votes
68% - 20305 votes