Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
04 Oct 2006
Cramps at night with extreme pain
I have been to three doctors including 2 paedetricians. They all tell me it is an iron deficiancy. My little girl is now 14 month. Around 6 months she started with this terrible nightly episodes of waking up and screaming with pain. This still occurs now. If I place my hand on her tummy i can feel it cramping. The only way i can explain whats happening is a wind that can't come out and this is causing extreme pain. Due to this i feel she is associating it with eating and that is why she still doesn't want to really eat. I have now recently tried to take her off the breast but its been 5 days and she is not drinking from a bottle and refuses any milk. I get about 100ml of juice into her on a good day. Please there is something terribly wrong. She screams so of pain that she won't even let me hold her. I now need to see a specialist because this is a mothers worst nightmare when you don't know what is wrong and you can't do anything to help, not even hold and love her. I hope you can help me with some insight on this, even if its a mother just being neurotic. Thank you.
You are not being neurotic and your daughter has a real problem. It could be due to a food intolerance or a condition called eosinophilic gastroenteropathy. Please take her to see your paediatrician. If she does not improve after the consultation please write in again.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Covid-19: is obesity really more of a risk factor for men than women?
- Some people in the US will take the Covid-19 vaccine if they're paid for it – but is this ethical?
- THE ESKOM FILES | Money for jam: StefStocks, Basil Read accused of fleecing millions from Kusile 'scheme'
- How the EFF wants to change the Constitution
- Unfriendly fire: Top cop Khehla Sitole, fired Crime Intelligence boss Peter Jacobs trade blame over Kinnear murder
- Is R2.7 billion for SAA subsidiaries enough or will taxpayers have to cough up more, parly asks
- Covid-19: Mkhize cracks whip ahead of Phase 2 vaccinations
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20299 votes