Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
27 Nov 2011
my 5 year old daughter has been taking flucloxacillin for 8 weeks at a 5ml 4 times daily rate. are there any possible side affects liver/kidney to be aware of. she is also acoeliac and lactose intolerant thanks for your help.
Flucloxacillin is a penicillin-based antibiotic that is usually used to treat a specific type of bacterial infection namely 'staph' [staphylococcus] infection.This antibiotic is usually given for a period of 5 to 7 days.Administration of this antibiotic for more than two weeks increases the risk of a side-effect known as 'cholestatic jaundice' If you look at the package insert that comes with the antibiotic you will notice a particular warning about the dangers of this side effect. Flucloxacillin should not be given to any child who is known to be allergic to penicillin.It should not cause any particular problems for your daughter as far as her coeliac disease and lactose intolerance is concerned.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- WATCH | Covid-19 vaccines: Pfizer fast facts
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- OPINION | Ivermectin: Why a potential Covid-19 treatment isn’t recommended for use
- Covid-19 infection indoors: This app can tell you how long it will take to catch the virus
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- Zama Ndlovu | How men with money are ruining politics for the rest of us
- Sifiso Ntombela | SA needs 'inclusive agricultural growth', but what does that mean?
- EXPLAINER | What we know about the day the Coka brothers were killed on an Mpumalanga farm
- INTERVIEW | PSG’s Mouton on executive pay: 'The greatest CEOs, you cannot pay enough'
- Green light for Hlophe participation in Western Cape High Court interviews after Winde agrees to attend
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20025 votes