Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
28 Nov 2011
Little boy passing very hard stools
Good day Dr - my 15month old little boy seems to have a problem with only passing hard, ball like stools. Sometimes you can see it is painfull, and sometimes he stands and pushes till he is blood red in his face and after pushing so much it is such a tiny little ball. Is there anything i can give him for this. I give him prune juice diluted with water, but because he is still breast fed, doesnt really drink a bottle / sipi cup. I will be taking him off the breast December when i start leave. He is a very fussy eater and is still more on purity than anything else. I have given him milk of magnesia, but i dont know what else to try. This is an every day, 2 to 3 times a day story! Thank you for your help.
Your baby boy is very constipated. This is very unusual with a baby who is being breastfed.If he is passing hard stools like this up to three times a day he may be retaining quite a lot of stool and is unable to pass these constipated hard stools.He must be on a diet rich in fibre, fluid and fruit. He needs to drink water as well as breastmilk.Use an infant glycerine suppository once daily for two days to help him to pass these hard stools. Also give him Duphalac liquid 5ml daily for 14 days which will help to soften his stools.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19 virus a triple threat: Study exposes how it outsmarts the immune system
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Mixing Pfizer and AstraZeneca Covid vaccines increases mild side effects, early results show
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- EXPLAINER | 5 things you need to know about phase two vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- Karyn Maughan | After demanding his trial start, will Zuma finally plead to the case against him?
- Tributes pour in for Durban Metro officer who died while diving
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20322 votes