Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
03 Oct 2011
lump on the head
Was doing my 5 year olds hair when I noticed a lump at the back of her head on the left side just above the ear.
The lump you feel is probably an enlarged lymph gland. This can happen after an ear or scalp infection. Another common cause is a tick bite. Have a good look and see if you can notice any scab on her scalp as this may be a sign that she was bitten by a tick. If she does not have a scab the lump will simply disappear by itself.If she does have a scab then watch out that she does not become feverish or develop a headache. If she does have these complaints she must be seen by a doctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- WATCH | Covid-19 vaccines: Pfizer fast facts
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- Covid-19 infection indoors: This app can tell you how long it will take to catch the virus
- OPINION | Ivermectin: Why a potential Covid-19 treatment isn’t recommended for use
- EXPLAINER | What we know about the day the Coka brothers were killed on a farm in Mkhondo
- EXPLAINER | What you need to know about what's happening in Chad
- Green light for Hlophe participation in Western Cape High Court interviews after Winde agrees to attend
- Absa chair says 'clashes' led to sudden departure of bank's first black CEO
- I'd do it again... Lucky Montana maintains he did nothing wrong as CEO at Prasa
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20019 votes