Ask an expert

02 Oct 2008

Medical Files

I am rather unahppy with the non-service and non-availability of the paediatrician who has been treating my son for 2 years.

I would like to move to him to another Doctor, but would like to receive a copy of his medical file with his history (various pneumonia' s etc) for the new Doctor.

Am I entitled to this file by law? If the Doctor refuses, who should I take this matter up with?

With thanks,
Answer 366 views
childhood diseases

01 Jan 0001

You have the right to obtain full copies of your son's files which you should give to your new paediatrician. An alternative is for the first paediatrician to provide you with a comprehensive report detailing in chronological order all your son's illnesses and treatments over the past 2 years.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.