Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
11 Sep 2008
My 2 year olds creche teacher was diagnosed with tb and is no longer in contact with the children. All the kids in the class have been put on profilactics for 6 months (no tests were done). What exactly does the medication do, does it have any side-effects or effects to the immune system and why do they needs to use it for such a long period? Due to the nature of the disease we had to go through the government clinic and the people there were not very helpful.
As your child was exposed to an adult with open pulmonary TB he/she is at risk of being infected with TB despite having had a BCG immunisation at birth. The policy is to place children on a 6 month long preventative treatment course using a medicine called INH which is short for Isoniazid. This medicine can affect the liver although this is unusual, so it is always necessary to do liver function tests before starting on treatment. At all times during the course of treatment be on the lookout for any fever, vomiting,excessive tiredness or jaundice [yellow colour to skin and eyes] INH does not affect the immune system in any way.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- Physical inactivity linked to higher risk of severe Covid-19, hospitalisation and death
- Lockdowns can reduce the severity of Covid-19 epidemics – and genetic evidence proves it
- Killing Kinnear: Secret report reveals infighting contributed to cop's death
- Karyn Maughan | Mogoeng, Malema and the judges: Inside the JSC hearings that shook the judiciary
- New African Bank CEO is 'back to complete the unfinished business of transformation in SA banking'
- 'Julius Malema should be removed from JSC': 6 questions with Casac's Lawson Naidoo
- Ramaphosa on Mantashe cadre deployment comments: 'I will answer at the Zondo Commission'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19967 votes