Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
25 Jul 2011
Reflux in 4yr old
Hi there. I have a 4yr old daughter who had reflux as a baby. The paed explained that the valve would eventually close. But now recently I noticed that she has been complaining of stomach ache. Her stool is normal. But this morning she told me that when she lies down the food comes up, and she has to spit it out in the toliet. Besides and operation, what are my other options for helping her relieve this?
It is uncommon,but reflux can certainly persist in some children of your daughter's age. She gives a good description of her symptoms.As a start it is essential that she is on a stomach acid reducing medicine such as Losec [there are several generics available] She should then be tested for her degree of reflux and if it is severe enough she may need the Nissen operation to cure her reflux problem.It would be best to take her to see her paediatrician so that the necessary tests can be done and she can be stated on the Losec in the meantime.
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- Obesity, diabetes not only increases risk of severe Covid - it increases the risk of being infected
- Pfizer vaccines are coming. Here’s how SA could prepare its cold chain
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
- Trichomonas gallinae disease or canker killing birds in Eastern Cape?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9423 votes
68% - 19878 votes