Ask an expert

08 Mar 2010

Scaly scalp with hair loss
My son is 3,5 years old, and I''ve noticed that he has about 3 patches of " scales"  on his scalp. Once a scale comes loose from his scalp, a few strands of his hair also comes out.

What could this be? Should I take him to the doctor (if so, a GP or dermotologist)? Or is there something I can use to clear it up?
Answer 380 views
childhood diseases

01 Jan 0001

This is almost certainly a fungal infection of your son's scalp called tinea capitis. He needs to use a medicine called Griseofulvin taken by mouth once daily for 6 weeks.It would be best if a dermatologist sees him.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.