Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
25 Jan 2010
Thumbsucking 7 yr old
My 7 year old girl has been sucking her thumb since 3 months old. We have always been ignoring it as I also believe that these things go away if you do not stress about it. She also had an old satin nighty (her ' bersie' ) that she used to rub under her nose while sucking her thumb. Somewhere last year the ' bersie' got lost and she forgot about it. She then still sucked her thumb, but a lot less than with the satin ' bersie' . Now during the December holiday we noticed that she has started to rub a piece of her hear under her nose and sucks her thumb. She now does it all the time and it is very annoying to see her with this piece of hair in her face and the sucking is worse than ever. She has started grade 1 and I thought that maybe she feels a bit insecure, but really it annoys the & %%$ out of me! I feel sorry for her, because she obviously needs te comfort.
Your daughter is persisting with thumbsucking for longer than usual. Is something making her feel insecure? Reminding her about her habits and drawing her attention to them will unfortunately simply prolong her thumbsucking habit.It would be best to ask her dentist whether there has been any problems with her permant teeth which should be coming through at her age as a result of her thumbsucking and for advice about stopping her habit.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Are chemicals shrinking your penis and depleting your sperm? Here’s what the evidence really says
- ‘We have to be alert, not alarmed’ says KRISP director about B.1.617 variant identified in India
- Rare neurological condition linked to Covid infection in 21 countries
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- THE ESKOM FILES | Flashy Eskom exec 'still owes us about a million bucks' says Pretoria builder
- US support on Covid-19 vaccine patents: This is how it happened
- SATURDAY PROFILE | From Sudan to SA: One man's journey from being called a spy to becoming a doctor
- Late interim leader’s son Misuzulu named Zulu king
- Did 'Vermeulen 4 Vunipola 0' influence Lions' selection shock?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20219 votes