Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
06 Mar 2010
My daughter of 8 years got stung by wasps . It looks like 4 stings. It happened about 3 hours ago . She had been stung by ordinary bees before and nothing happened So I take it she''s not allergic to bee stings. But could wasp stings have a late reaction, and what must I look for ?
Wasp stings are not as common as bee stings in SA, but can cause allergic reactions.An allergic reaction is unlikely of this is your daughter's first wasp sting.Allergies to wasp stings occur after more than one previous sting usually. Allergic reactions usually develop very rapidly with intense swelling and redness at the site of the sting and the development of an itchy rash all over the body which is called hives or urticaria. Sometimes breathing difficulty also develops. If your daughter develops a skin rash or has any problem with her breathing she must be taken to an emergency department immediately.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Trying to cut down on your meat intake? Experts suggest you should just look at it
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Core strength: Why is it important and how do you maintain it?
- Covid-19 virus a triple threat: Study exposes how it outsmarts the immune system
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- Karyn Maughan | After demanding his trial start, will Zuma finally plead to the case against him?
- 'Illegitimate' royal council plans to loot Balobedu funds, ANC MP Mathole Motshekga claims
- Adriaan Basson | Tata ma chance, tata ma Covid-19 vaccines
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20311 votes