Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
24 Sep 2008
My youngest daughter is 4 months old and over the weekend she had a temp of 37.1C. It later dropped to 34C. She has started creche 2 weeks ago and since then has had a wet cough. I gave her some cough medicine today and she is bringing up a lot of phlem. Can I rub Vicks on her chest and what must i do when she brings up this phlem? I am worried about her lungs as she is a prem baby. Please advise me on what to do. Thanx
Your baby obviously has a chest infection which she caught at her new creche. It seems to be a viral chest infection called bronchiolitis. As she is still very young and I cannot judge how ill she is from what you have written here, it would be best to have her checked by your doctor or paediatrician.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Efforts to reduce coronavirus spread should focus on airborne transmission, not surfaces
- Why do children fare better than adults when infected with SARS-CoV-2? What latest research says
- Covid-19: New study to probe whether vaccinated people can still spread the virus
- Cape Town fire: UCT working on urgent safety plan to prevent future fire hazards
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
- Gwede Mantashe, Thandi Modise not keen on parliamentary oversight committee on Presidency
- 'I was fulfilling a higher purpose' - Rabbi saves Torah from burning UCT building
- Did Tokyo Sexwale fall for a global conspiracy theory?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20003 votes