Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
20 Sep 2011
when to worry?
My 20month old toddler has a grand total of 3 words - and one of them (mommy) she uses for both me and her granny, so I''m not sure I can count it. She does know about 30 signs though, can follow simple instructions and can point out various pictures if you ask her to. I am concerned about her lack of spoken words. At what stage do I start to worry and take her to get tested and what testing would they do?
It is indeed very common for some toddlers of this age to only be using about 3 words. Your little girl appears to be able to hear well as she follows instructions, so that is not an issue with her as far as we can tell now. Have patience and with time she should start speaking better.Always mention the name of any object she is playing with or handling. If she has not made much progress by the age of 3 years, which is unlikely, she should be seen by a speech therapist. The speech therapist will start off by asking for a hearing test.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Low risk of third Covid wave in SA, but country still ‘highly vulnerable’, Wits AI model suggests
- Obesity, diabetes not only increases risk of severe Covid - it increases the risk of being infected
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
- Trichomonas gallinae disease or canker killing birds in Eastern Cape?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19881 votes