Ask an expert

10 Mar 2010

I have a boil under my armpit, what can i buy over the counter?
Pls help me. Do we have Ichthammol Ointment in SOuth Africa?
Answer 268 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi F

Although we do have some forms of Ichtammol, I'm not sure whether you're referring to the drawing ointment - In that case, no, it's not specifically marketed here for that use.

I'd suggest using a cream such ac Bactroban to start with. Drawing ointments are also popular (eg. Trek8), but tome frown upon its efficacy.

Should the boil however not respond to treatment - or if you can afford it right now - see a doctor for a antibiotic (either topical or oral).

All the best!
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20294 votes