Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
07 Aug 2011
Empaped 250mg given to 9month old
When asking my husband for a glycerine suppository as our 9 month old is constipated, hehans it over to me and I insert it only later to realise he has given me a Empaped 250mg!! Is my baby in danger? What will happen?
Hi Marelise The correct dose of paracetamol for a child does not depend on its age, but its weight. The usual dose is 15 mg per kilogram of weight. In other words if a baby weighs 10 kg it should have 150 mg. This dose can be taken once every 4 hours, up to 4 times per day if needed. However, since your child did not receive other paracetamol doses during the day, I suspect that no harm would be done (depending on the weight of your little one) as the TOTAL DAILY DOSE in children should not exceed 90 mg per kilogram in a day.
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- Life Esidimeni update: Five years later, key officials implicated yet to face disciplinary action
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- Covid-19: New study to probe whether vaccinated people can still spread the virus
- 'I was fulfilling a higher purpose' - Rabbi saves Torah from burning UCT building
- Did Tokyo Sexwale fall for a global conspiracy theory?
- Ralph Mathekga | Madikizela qualification scandal: Rather don't lie
- Patty politics: How RocoMamas' tiff with a small business over a name could backfire
- Proteas and T20 World Cup: Time for loyalty, team building has arrived
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 20001 votes