Ask an expert

18 Jan 2006

Hi there

I realise that I have this Hyperhidrosis on my face. My pharmacist has never heard of the meds that appear on the website. Does SA sell them? I am on a fair amount of medication like cortisone, Exefor 75 for depression caused by chronic pain (disk prob) so maybe the drug they mention is no good for me. Is there a cream or a facial anti-perspirant one can get? Or safe pills in SA? Do you need a prescription? This is a real issue as I am a professional and sweat off my make-up plus its horrible in meetings. Please let me know what if any product can help. I have also been investigating Botox but its really expensive and as you know needs to be repeated every few months.
Answer 420 views

01 Jan 0001

Firstly, I'd suggest speaking to your doctor about this. There are some prescription and non-prescription items that can be tried and surgical intervention is also a possibility.
Medicines that block the effect of the nerves that stimulate the sweat glands are sometimes used. For example, propantheline (Pro-Banthine). These medicines are not used very often. This is because the success of these medicines is variable. Also, side-effects commonly occur. For example, a dry mouth and blurred vision. However, in some cases they work well and side-effects are minor.

Which website are you referring to?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.