Ask an expert

24 Apr 2003

phlegm (sp) and abdominal opain
My husband has bee having the following symptoms for the [st couple of years (3) he has been for various tests and been to plenty doctors who have no solution as to what it is. He constantly coughs up phlegm (flem) and has a contant irritating lower abdominal pain close to his groin. Please help. Doctors tell him he is a hypercondriact.
Answer 420 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Leoni,

It would be very difficult to tell you what his problem is without getting a full case history. The only thing I can do is to help you symptomatically.

Normally we wouldn't want to stop the phlegm from being coughed up. This will just cause more problems. With regards to the coughing: what colour is the phlegm, is it thick or thin? Has he got a tight chest associated with the coughing? Has he got a wheeze when doing exercises? Is he wheezing at any time? Has any doctor treated him for asthma?

Ask your pharmacist to make you a mixture of equal parts of Adco-Linctopent and Actospect. Of this he can take 15ml 4 times per day. This will open up the chest (if need be), loosen the phlegm and it will work as an expectorant.

With regards to the pain in lower abdomen and the groin; what kind of pain is it? Is it a numb pain, a constant pain? Is it swollen? Is there a mass of tissue? It can be a rupture in the abdominal walll membrane. Make an appointment at an urologist. He will be able to help you.



The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.