Ask an expert

09 Dec 2012

high arches
Hi, i have very high arches on both feet and experience
Extreme discomfort when walking. The balls of my feet get very sore as all the pressure is onthe front of my feet when i walk. Can you please advise me on how to alleviate the condition.thank you kindly.
Answer 311 views

01 Jan 0001

Thank you for your question, you will need to consult with a podiatrist with a special interest in biomechanics for an assessment to be fitted possible with a customade orthotic. The orthotic would take on the shape of your arches, help to redistribute the weight across your feet evenly, absorb shock and provide cushioning under the heels and over the balls of the feet.
The podiatrist would also be able to advise you on exercises to strengthen your foot muscles.
I would also suggest that you don't walk bare feet and wear very cushioning shoes. The correct shoe wear would already offer you a lot of relief - purchase shoes with a rubber sole, cushioning/ gel innersole and make that you replace your shoes on a regular basis as the midsole and cushioning would wear out before the upper of the shoe.
For your nearest podiatrist 0861 100 249 or
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9645 votes
70% - 22646 votes