Question

16 week blood test - Down Syndrome
I am due for the 16 week blood test in about 3 weeks. I have heard that it is a good idea to have the test done, but my husband doesn't want to do it. His argument is that we have no intention of terminating the pregnancy if we get a bad result, and knowing the outcome will just spoil the rest of the pregnancy. Are there any benefits of finding out now in terms of treatment to help the child before it is born? or is it just an early warning system so we will be prepared? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you all very much

If you do not plan to terminate, the advantage of knowing beforehand if there is a problem, would be to give you time to prepare, and also to look for other abnormalities associated with Down syndrome which might need surgery straight after birth. This would allow the doctors time to prepare for this.