Question

26 week baby
Hello
My baby was born at 26 weeks, and is doing well, although she is still in nicu (she is 32 weeks now). All the doctors tell me that until she has reached her EDD that they cant tell me if there is any damage to her and if so what the outcome for her is. She was born at 26 weeks because of high blood pressue. What should I expect with regards to the following:
1. her chances of being "normal" to mildly brain damaged to severely brain damaged
2. I know she will be slower than normal kids for the first two years, so is there extra things i should do with her
3 what is the best formula for a prem baby (she cant be breast fed becasue of a problem with me(
thank you
Premature baby expert

Hallo mom

Babies born before 28 weeks always have a higher risk for developmental delays because their development is in a very fragile stage, but GOOD NEWS: babies born from moms with high blood pressure usually do very well, since they have been stressed in the womb and in addition girls do better than boys.

1. Did they do any brain scans on her while in hospital? If their was abnormalities on the brain scan (ask your doctor) then she might have slight damage, but depending on the degree and the place of injury, she might not have any damage at all.

2. She might not be slower than normal kids at all; she might even be quicker because of the stress she has been subjected to. You can take her for an evaluation to a early intervention team on 4, 8 and 12 months corrected age and they will tell you whether she has any delays to worry about and what you can do for her specifically to improve the outcome. Please visit www.littlesteps.co.za > ask us to get some one in your area.

3. You should continue with the formula you are using in hospital at the moment. Usually we use Pre-NAN, or S26 Low-birth weight and then you just continue with NAN or S26 when she go home, but she will be on this formula at the time of discharge.

Enjoy your baby every moment, she might not have any problems at all and if any it might only be minor or the same that full term babies experience. If there is a huge problem the early intervention professionals will be able to give you all the assistance you may need.