Question

36 weeks baby
my 19 year old daugther is 36 weeks pregrenant, the gyne wants to induce labour as the baby has a enlarged bowel. what is the cause of this and is there any complications after baby is born.

Dear Granny
You must be terribly worried! In some babies the opening of the bowel at the anus is not formed properly and this could maybe cause enlarged bowel. The Gyne probably feels that the baby may need surgery but I am only guessing. The baby may be sickly just after birth and may need to be in an ICU or get surgery soon after being born. Please ask the doctor to explain what he has in mind and what you need to expect? Let me know what happens?