Question

'Baby Fat'
Please help me. My daughter is 8 years old and slightly overweight when compared to her friends [approximately 10kgs]. She plays netball for the school (3 x a week) and does ballet (2 x a week). She doesn't over-eat and sweets/junk food is generally only consumed over weekends. We've had a series of blood tests done and her glucose and iron levels were rather low. Our GP now has her on a 3-month treatment of Vita-Thion and Ferrimed.

I've had her on the Weighless eating plan for children published in the YOU magazine for the last week, but she doesn't seem to be losing weight. This is very discouraging for her and I want to know if there is a diet supplement, fat burner or similar I could let her take to boost the weight loss whilst on the eating plan?

Dear Mom
PLEASE don't give your child any diet pills or potions are they are even more harmful to young children than to adults. It is also not a good idea for children to go on highly restrictive diets, so PLEASE continue with the Weighless eating plan for children which is well balanced. You say that you read the instructions for the latter diet in the YOU last week and are already disappointed that your child has not lost any weight. It may take weeks and months for her to lose that weight. In the meanwhile she is anaemic and seems to have an iron deficiency, so this is another reason not to put her on a strict diet or to interfere with her metabolism. The very best metabolic stimulant for old and young is exercise and she is already doing plenty. Tell her to take things slowly and she will lose weight. Too much pressure on these young girls can easily tip them into an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia and that is not the way she should go. Slow and steady with no pressure and she will lose that weight.
Take great care