Question

3yr old eats LOTS of sand
I am fostering a 3yr old who is HIV+. I have regularly caught her sitting outside the back door, eating sand. I am wondering if she is suffering from some sort of deficiency. She often suffers from a runny tummy because of all the sand. The virus is already a huge thing to fight, so I would like to know what it is she is lacking so that I can supplement her diet. Any advice would be great.
thanks

Amanda, it’s called pica and it’s usually a sign of an iron deficiency. The best would be to have her tested to make sure. Good luck.