Question

4 slices white bread
hi doc im 20 years old and i weigh 118kg im 1.74m tall. my question is how many calories does 4 slices of white bakers or albany bread contain?
this is the only bread i can eat and im trying to loose weight so i have decided to have 4 slices a day 2 for breakfast and 2 for lunch.

let me know wat you think

many thanx

Dear Stormy11
Your present BMI = 38,9 which is very, very high. I don't have the energy content of Albany bread, but according to the SA Food Tables white bread contains 239 kcal per 100g, thus each slice weighing about 25 g would contain 60 kcal and the 4 slices a day would provide 239 kcal. Do you intend eating only these 4 slices of bread a day and nothing else? This is not a balanced way of losing weight. Do try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and discuss the use of Xenical with your gp because you would need to lose 28 kg to get back into the overweight range (BMI = 30) and 45 kg to get back into the normal range (BMI = 25). Xenical can help you to start losing weight. It is used together with a very-low-fat diet which will reduce your energy intake and promote weightloss. Also consider consulting a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with this task. If you find that you are not losing weight with these regimens then I would recommend that you contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose. As you start losing weight and get more mobile, include 30 min of exercise each day - for example, going for walks. Increase how fast and far you walk as you get fitter. Exercise is excellent for promoting weightloss.