Question

4 year old son obsessed with weight
My 4 year old son seems obsessed with his weight these days. He has always been a big boy, big boned but has never been fat. I tell him every time that he is strong and healthy, not fat but every day he says he wishes he was thin. He started pre-school this year and is also not adjusting there. It' s drama' s every morning to leave him there. He cries and screams when I leave. According to the teacher he calms down as soon as I leave and I know lots of other kids battle to adjust, but it' s breaking my heart. I suspect some of the kids at school teases him cause he' s a big boy but I don' t know how to handle it from here.

An unusual pre-occupation for a kid of 4. Isn't he, perhaps, being teased or bullied, at pre-school or among play-mates, about his weight or size ? the bullying theory would fit with his reluctance to go to pre-school. Discuss this with his teachers, who should observe the situation, report to you on it, and remedy it. Bullies should NEVER be tolerated