Question

4.5 year old eating too much?
My 4.5 year old son has a very healthy appetite. He can eat 2/3 hot dogs at a time, a hamburger by himself - even 6 yoghurts (small ones though) a day
I don' t want to deprive him of food if he asks me for more, which is always the case but I' m so scared that he is eating too much and might become over weight. He is tall for his age though and weighs around 18kg' s. He is also very active.

One thing that I know for sure that he will not touch food if he is not hungry. If you offer him something after he ate a meal,

Please help - should I refuse him food when he asks for more?

Dear Anon
Your lad seems quite heavy, as children aged 4,5 years usually weigh about 16 kg and are approx. 100 cm tall. Measure his height and if he not yet about 100 cm tall then he is probably overweight and you will have to help him to eat less fattening food. Offer him fruit and vegetable snacks, low-fat yoghurt and cottage cheese on Provitas instead of hot dogs and hamburgers. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers' to see what and how much he should be eating. If you are worried that he is gaining too much weight despite his activity then have him assessed by your Paediatrician.