Question

6 Year old has no appetite
My daughter is 6 years old and she refuses to simply eat her food, I have to bribe and beg and threaten her - but in a nice way - to eat her food. I end up having to feed her sometimes. In the morning for breakfast - she has what she wants which is always cereal - I make sure of that - cereal such as all bran or choco pops or wheatbix - of which she has 2 wheatbix. She takes 45 minutes to eat breakfast. Lunch she does not want bread, bread rolls or crackers - I now give her fruit sticks, bilthong, a yoghurt, juice (clifton), and fruit - these are the things which she askes for and she sometimes eats 2 things from this selection. Supper takes 1 hour to eat when I am feeding her and I ensure she gets her red meat or chicken and plenty veggies and some rice. I am hoping she will grow out of this phase and just not be so fussy - or is it my fault for spoiling her??

Dear Sam
One of the most important things any parent can do for her child is to prevent that child from the following: a) equating food with love b) using food as a means of control or as an attention-getting device c) developing food dislikes and obsessions. From what you say, your child is eating well, except that I think she needs to have more milk - 3 glasses a day to provide calcium for bone and tooth growth. If she takes a long time eating, just be patient and give her time. Some adults also take time over their meals (usually the ones who don't get fat!). If you relax and she feels at ease, she may well start eating a bit more quickly. Lift the pressure and she will also relax and stop using eating as an attention-getting device. Meals should never be stressful for any of the participants.