Question

60-80% of your heart rate
What do they mean by 60-80% of your
predicted maximum heart rate?
When working out.

Hi Michael

OK, so everyone has a maximum heart rate - the highest heart rate we can achieve. It varies from person to person, but generally, it's about 220 minus your age. SO if you are 25, it's around 195, give or take a bit for individual differences.

So, when they say 60 to 80% of maximum, they are saying to take around 60% to 80% of that figure. In this case, it's around 120 to 160 beats per minute.

I wouldn't get too stuck on this - it varies quite a lot from person to person and so if you try to get too precise, there's a real danger of making a mistake one way or the other.

I think the key is to say it's a 45 minute session and if it's easy, it's 4 to 6 on a scale of 0 to 10, and you should be able to hold a conversation. Obviously if you go for a harder day, nudge the effort up to 7 or 8, and so on!

Ross