Question

7 year old can''t understand
My son is 7 (turning 8) and started going to school this year. He still can''t speak properly and has trouble understanding people. We have had his hearing checked and it is fine. He does not have adhd and the psychiatrist cannot find any reason why he is like he is. He has a low iq 85 and she says he is 2 years behind. He has had language therapy for a year and we still continue to do the exercises with him. He is not improving. Now he is in school and we have him in aftercare with a qualified teacher so she can teach him and then he comes home and my husband and I teach him aswell but he just does not understand. E.g when I give him the word sit, he does''nt understand how to identify the letters and if I give him the letters he does''nt understand how to say the word. How can I teach him? If a qualified teacher can''t teach him I have no idea what I am going to do. Please help. I am totally frustrated and going insane.

Puzzling. If as you say he can't speak properly and has difficulty understanding people, there's surely something wrong. His hearing is fine. A relatively low IQ would add to the difficulty caused by any problems, but shouldn't have marked effects of the sort you describe. Maybe an even more expert psychological asessment is needed, and maybe a child psychologist's testing, to clarify the degree and location of the difficulties. Sounds like a degree of dyslexia and there are other more complex and related conditions, too.