Question

8 Weeks Preganant and Bleeding
Good day, Doc

I am 8 weeks pregnant and started bleeding(not heavy) on Friday 28th July 2006. I went to the my Gynae and she prescribed Utrogestan 100mg. I would like to know if is safe because in February this year i was pregnant and had same problems of bleeding and she prescribe Utrogestan 100mg and end up miscarrying. Please reply urgently as i have not started drinking them AND NEED YOUR SECOND OPINION!!!!!

fertility expert

Dear Dell

It is not uncommon for bleeding to occur around about the 8 week mark and is often as a result of drop in progesterone level. Therefore, the decision to use utrogestan is correct and I would subscribe to it.
However, there is no guarantee that despite this therapy, a miscarriage would not occur as there are many other reasons for miscarriages apart from inadequate progesterone production. It also depends on what the doctor has seen on ultra sound scan as I would expect that at 8 weeks a fully formed foetus with a foetal heart present should have been noted.