Question

9 Month Old - Diet essentials
Hi, Im trying to make as much home made purity as possible for my 9 month old baby girl. So far, I have just been using Butternut, Pumpkin, Carrot, Gem Squash and Sweet Potato. I want to start including Chick Pea''''s and Lentils for protein and carbohydrate.

1) Is this ok?

2) What else should I be including in her purity to give her a good balance?

I also feed her pureed apples, yoghurt, and baby cereal. What else does she need in her diet to be healthy?

Dear Mommy K
At the age of 9 months an infant needs milk or formula, pureed vegetables, fruit and cooked meat, soft-boiled eggs, finger foods such as Boudoir biscuits or small pieces of fresh, peeled fruit, soft toast fingers, yoghurt, and porridge, so your lassie is already having most of the necessary foods. I would perhaps wait with introducing chick peas and lentils because these foods can produce considerable quantities of gas which can cause winds and abdominal pain and discomfort in small children. If you do introduce them, make sure that they are very well cooked and finely pureed and only give her 1 teaspoon a day until her digestive system gets used to the higher fibre content. If she does not have negative reactions, then you can gradually increase her intake of legumes, but always keep in mind that small children have small stomach capacities, so do not give her large portions of any of the listed foods. Rather give her small portions more often. Search the 'Diet' site for the articles I have written on weaning suggestions.