Question

03 Nov

Can Duromine cause false pregnancy symptoms?
I have been taking Duromine for 6 weeks, for the last 3 weeks I have been experiencing pregnancy symptoms (waves of nausea, cramps in right ovary only, lower back pains, verrry emotional, on and off dizziness, heighten smell etc.) I took an early detection pregnancy test a week before my period was due and got a positive result. I did a couple more tests but they all where negative the days leading up to when my cycle was due. I started spotting 2 days before my cycle was due and then what I believe to be my period started on day 3 as the bleeding became heavier. I have been bleeding now for 5 days (this includes the 2 days of spotting) I am still getting cramps in my right ovary only. I have seen my GP and am waiting on HCG blood tests results. I just wanted to know if it's possible that Duromine could be giving me these symptoms / a false positive test?

23 Nov

Dear Kylie,

Side effects of Duromine can include nausea and dizziness however it should not cause back and abdominal pain. As you had a positive urine BHCG test it is important to review your blood BHCG, however at this point it may be negative and you could still have had an early pregnancy and a miscarriage. The use of duromine in pregnancy is not advised due to limited studies being available to show safety. So, if you are trying to conceive it is best you stop using it or alternately ensure adequate contraception.

Answered by Dr T Mohamed