Question

Colon repair diet
Hi there, I hope all is going well on your side! Thank you for all the support you have given so many people - health practitioners do not always understand how much it means to patients. I have been struggling a bit with a my digestive system for a few months. I have lost loads of weight and it seems it comes down to the digestive system. I have seen a dietitian and an Integrated doctor but it seems things is going downhill. My weight before the lock down was at 83kg's (6 foot 3) but I am standing on 63kg's. I have joint, leg and various other pains but the doctors can not really find anything wrong with me. I have been eating super healthy but no joy. Is there a specific diet that one can follow for a gut repair but that would give the body the nutrition it needs or can you perhaps suggest a meal replacement shake or a liquid diet of some sort? Thank You so much and have a wonderful day ahead!
The Dietitians

Hi Cax

I am so sorry to hear about your condition. 20 kg weight loss is a significant amount in such a short period. For optimal gut health, it is important that you consume a diet high in fiber, aiming for a total of about 25-38 g/day. Food high in fiber include fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains like brown rice, corn, potatoes with the skin, oats, bulgur wheat and whole wheat bread. This is important to feed your good gut bacteria so that they can make sure that your gut cells are healthy and absorb the nutrients that your body needs. With that, I would recommend a good quality probiotic so that we can put the good bacteria back in your gut.
It is great that you are focusing on eating healthy. Focus on lots of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy fats like olive oil, avocado, peanut butter, nuts and seed. This will however most likely not be enough for you to gain weight again. Therefore, I would recommend a meal replacement, like Ensure, to drink as a snack, along with your other 3 meals and snacks. 
I'm wishing you all the best, and a quick recovery. If your symptoms do not improve, and you continue to lose weight, please go for a second opinion at a gastroenterologist so that we can get to the bottom of this.